12.13.2010

"Heikentää Ranta - Eroding Beach"

I used "Google Translate"... so to my Finnish friends and family, correct me if I have the title wrong!  I know sometimes the word might be right but not the correct choice, the meaning be off if the wrong word is chosen.


10 x 30" Acrylic on linen

The coastline here is fascinating.  We have discovered things washed up on the beach from soles of shoes to an elk that met its demise.   More fascinating, though, is the way the shoreline is eroding, trees are toppling over the edge, and there are lines on the banks, showing the years.  One such line is a row of clamshells about 6' high that glistens in the sun.  Supposedly, from what historians have discovered from Native American legends, is there was a huge earthquake here 300 years ago, and this area that is now bay dropped around 6 feet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment