4.01.2010

paints I have missed thee, you bring good things to life

Being away for a month from my paint supplies was a bit more trying than I thought it would be.  When I slopped the paint of the canvas this morning, by body let out a big ahhhhhhh, I am home! 

What I have started here is going to carve itself into a portrait of a family member my sister Sheila, her husband Sam and their two daughters lost a couple months ago, their beloved dog Nex.  Nex had cancer, when they discovered it, he had a ruptured spleen.  It all happened so suddenly for them.

Bear with me while I bring this canvas to life and in a way immortalize Nex for them.  I will be adding to this post as I add to the painting.

18 x 24"  
I started with red oxide and cobalt blue that I mixed right on the canvas.  Red oxide, somewhat the color of blood, mixed with colbalt, the beautiful blue often found in the sky, makes a rich dark brown.  I think the colors are very symbolic in a way.



After the paint dried, I gridded the painting and sketched in the placement and composition of the piece. In the background, on the floor, you can see my impatient way of drying paint...  I like to use a blow dryer when layering paints and glazes.  

Making a few minor adjustments to the sketch, I've now blocked in black areas.   This is a very beautiful animal.  As I work along, I am seeing a myriad of detail I will be adding to him.  I have quite a ways to go still. 


I blocked in some yellow ochre.  At this point it looks crude.  Next I might work on blocking in a bit of red... but then I think I will start on glazes and details before posting again.  

(Sheila, if you are reading this, I hope you don't mind that I am sharing the process of this painting.  I may just end here and let the next post be the finished painting.   I am grateful that you have allowed me to paint Nex.)


I added red.


Details came next.  I am almost finished.  I have to walk away from it for a day or two and come back to it with a fresh eye to see if and where I am off.  I know for certain I need to work on toning down the highlights in the fur and do some tweeking on and around the eyes as they tend to be the most important part. 
I think the hardest part for me in a painting... is knowing when it is done.  
I think this one is done.  
"Love, Nex" 
18 x 24" acrylic
------------------------

PS.  I worked from photographs that Sheila and Sam gave me.  Below is the one they chose that this painting is fashioned from:



4 comments:

  1. Hi :) I am totally you ok discussing your "Nex" Process. He was a great dog, and this just is a nice tribute to all that he brought to our family. He was our "first" child, and is still missed greatly. I would love to watch the process, but whatever you feel is best is fine by me. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful talent with us to remember Nexy by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Aunt Cheryl, thank you for the painting of Nex. It looks like its almost real! We miss him very,very much. Love, Teagan Mason

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter, types much more coherently than I do :) (you ok, lol) anyway, she wanted to thank you as well, so the above, is all her. Not bad for an 8 year old :)
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete