6.11.2009

back at it!

Its been a bit since I last painted. I've been back in the office pretty much full time. By the time I get home I don't want to do anything... I did take today off, though, since it appeared it was going to be slow. I decided to paint a rose...

This rose is from one of the photos I took in Portland, OR, the City of Roses. I was also inspired visiting the Currier Art Gallery in Manchester yesterday. Not by the Picasso, but countless others I saw there. I found more than ever, the paintings just "popped" at me and I wanted to go home and try to reproduce that feeling myself. Something to draw the eye in and say something to the viewer. Nothing esoteric, no hidden meanings, but yet something that speaks to the soul... I hope I will be able to accomplish this with my rose.

This is the beginning. I am doing this one in glazes like I did my turtles. Here is the first monochromatic layer.

More to come as I progress!


(24 x 36" acrylic on canvas)


OK, a few hours later, here it is with a yellow glaze (with a bit of glare in the photo... oh well). The red and the blue may have to wait until tomorrow, I'm running out of daylight...





It's Friday, I did the red layer of glaze on my rose. Keep in mind, this painting is huge - the main rose is about 1 1/2 feet in diameter.

It's looking almost done... but missing that extra depth of blue....






OK... I added blue realized a big mistake... it my enthusiasm to lay in the red and yellow, I forgot the blue should actually go first. No problem. just added to the time I had to work on this! Got out the blow dryer to dry between layers and added a bit more of red and yellow glazes. I also then added highlights... other than signing, I think I am done!








24 x 36" acrylic


Let me know what this piece says to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment