5.02.2009

New York City

New York City, 24 x 36"
As I did with "Eye Over London", in this painting I tried to create the illusion of a lot of detail without really using much. I wanted the design to be a bit more on the abstract side and simple so I used a larger brush for the majority of the painting, blocking in color and generally capturing the essence of New York City. New York is a bustling city, but I wanted to create a sense of calm as well as excitement. There is no sign of life in this picture, yet so many lives went into creating this great city. The difference in architecture shows the many years of life it has spanned.

I will come back to it in a couple days and decide then if it is finished. One fault that I have is not knowing for sure when I am done with a painting. I have ruined many a painting by overworking and reworking and eventually starting over. Now, as I am learning to do, I'm walking away....

4 comments:

  1. The "Empire View" is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Kevin, you and Jayne have a place for it yet? I will send it along shortly... when I decide if it's really done... :-) (nothing major, don't worry!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we have a spot all picked out.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete